Most interiorscapes experienced with these plants would agree that many of the cultivars and species are truly superior interiorscape plants with phenomenal staying power on the job. Even when used in those hot, dark places referred to in the article. Over the years, aralias have fallen in and out of favor with growers and plants buyers alike.
Common name: Aralia Miniature White (Small), Spinach leaf, Polyscias guilfoylei variegated, Geranium aralia
Flower colours: Whitish or greenish
Bloom time: Ornamental varieties hardly bloom.
Height: 4 to 11 inch
Difficulty to grow: Easy to grow
Planting and care
Aralia plants can propagate by stem cuttings. Propagating aralia plants is more successful when temperatures are above 21 degrees C. Take softwood, or green-tip, cuttings from an aralia plant in the summer, using the top 10 inches of the plant. Strip the majority of the leaves from the bottom of the stems, then place them upright into a pot of moist, sandy soil.
The stems will begin to root after a few days. When the plant gets larger, transfer it to a new pot or your garden.
Sunlight: Bright indirect light.
Soil: Well drained and fertile soil.
Temperature: 20 to 30 degrees C
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer.
Caring for Aralia Miniature White
- Adequate watering is of course, essential, but over-watering is above all the greatest cause of the demise of virtually all Aralias.
- It is generally thought that plants will thrive when kept on the dry side.
- False aralia does not like to be moved. A sudden change in location causes the leaves to drop off.
- Trimming the tips of an Aralia Plant helps promote new growth.
- Handpick as many of the mealybugs from the plant as possible.
- Treat the areas near the base of the leaves with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol every five days, especially where you see the cottony masses of insects.
- Insecticidal soap is helpful when mealybugs are in the crawling stage before they attach to the foliage and assume their cottony appearance.
- Fertilize every two weeks with liquid houseplant fertilizer in spring and summer and monthly in fall and winter.
Typical uses of Aralia Miniature White
Special features: Aralia varieties are ideal for adding softness and texture to indoor spaces.
Ornamental use: Used as a pot plant for indoor and outdoor decoration.